Netflix is undoubtedly one of the most user-friendly streaming platforms with a large content catalog. There is literally everything for everyone from different genres and subgenres. However, at times you are searching for a title and nothing shows up.
Well, it’s due to content distribution rights. Some Netflix content is geo-restricted to some countries. For example, you will not find shows like Twin Peaks, Arrested Development, Twilight Zone, and others on Netflix UK. But, you can change Netflix country region in UK using a VPN on your Smart TV.
So, whether you are on vacation or traveling abroad, you can easily access any Netflix library on your Smart TV and enjoy all international titles from anywhere in the world.
If you have a smart TV running on Android OS, you can easily change the Netflix region using a VPN. Just follow these steps below:
- Subscribe to a VPN service.
- Open Google Play Store on your Smart TV.
- Search for the VPN and install it.
- Log in to your account and connect to a server of your choice. (If you want to watch US Netflix, connect to a server from the USA).
- Now, open the Netflix app and it will show you the library of the country you have connected to with a VPN.
This way, you can connect to any country or location and change your Netflix region on your Smart TV while on vacation or traveling.
If your Smart TV doesn’t run on Android OS, changing Netflix regions can be a bit tricky. There are two ways to set up a VPN on such devices and stream other Netflix libraries:
- You can set up a Smart DNS on your Smart TV directly to unblock Netflix libraries.
- You can set up a VPN on your Wi-Fi router and connect your Smart TV to it.
If you have a Samsung Smart TV, LG TV, Apple TV, or any other brand that doesn’t run on Android OS, you can set up a Smart DNS to change Netflix regions. There are a lot of VPNs out there that offer a free Smart DNS feature along with a VPN.
In this example, I will be using ExpressVPN’s Smart DNS proxy called MediaStreamer. Just follow the steps below:
- Open ExpressVPN’s Smart DNS page and sign in to your account.
- Go to IP Address Registration option > check box ‘Register my IP address.’
- Go to the MediaStreamer page and it will show you DNS server addresses. Write them down as you will need them later.
- Launch your Smart TV > press Menu > go to Network.
- Choose Status > IP Settings and then click on DNS Settings.
- Click the option ‘Enter Manually’
- Now you will be given two spaces. Here, enter the DNS IP addresses you got in Step 3.
- Once done, click OK.
- Now restart your Smart TV.
- Open the Netflix app and sign in. It will now show you the Netflix library of the region you are connected to.
The other method is to set up a VPN on your Wi-Fi router and then connect your Smart TV to it. If you don’t want to use a Smart DNS proxy, this method is recommended as you only need to do it once and you can connect all your devices to the router and enjoy Netflix on different devices.
If you don’t know how to set up a VPN on your router, you can get pre-flashed routers offered by companies like Flashrouters. You can also configure a VPN on your router by yourself.
First, make sure your router supports VPNs. To do that, either search your router manufacturer on Google or contact your manufacturer support team directly. If your router doesn’t support VPNs, you will need a new firmware; you can find more information here.
If your router does support a VPN connection, you can follow the steps below:
- Open your Wi-Fi router’s interface in your browser. Just write the IP address of your router in your browser and username and password.
- Once you have accessed the interface, find the VPN option in the sidebar.
- Choose the option of the VPN client.
- Enter all the settings as provided by your VPN service. These include OpenVPN configuration files, server location, and more. You simply need to upload the .ovpn config file on the interface.
- Once you are done setting everything up, click OK and apply changes.
- Now, restart your router and connect your Smart TV to it.
- Open Netflix app and stream international libraries.
Now that you have successfully set up a VPN on your Smart TV, you can easily change your Netflix region to any location you want. So, let’s look at countries with the largest Netflix libraries in the world.
|Country||Number of total Netflix titles (Movies + Shows)|
So, there you have it, now you can easily change the Netflix region on your Smart TV from anywhere in the world. If you are traveling and cannot find your favorite shows on Netflix, connect to a VPN and easily change the Netflix region to your home country. Enjoy streaming.