How to Choose the Right Type of Thermal Transfer Ribbon in UK?


What is thermal transfer technology?

Thermal transfer technology is when a heat-sensitive carbon ribbon comes in touch with the thermal print. It melts into the label and transfers the ink onto the labelled material producing the image on the surface.

Compared to thermal direct, the thermal transfer produces a much more permanent Chris print, which is more durable and makes it suitable for long-term product labelling.

It can be used for products that are both stored outdoors and those kept in direct sunlight. It is much harder to get it off, which makes it less likely to be scratched or faded.

How to choose the best thermal transfer ribbon?

The printer ribbon and the substrate work together as a printing system, and all the above points must be kept in mind while choosing the thermal transfer ribbon which best suits your needs.

The ribbon has grown to become one of the largest manufacturers in the world of thermal transfer ribbons. They use the feature of a clean start, which is a patent they hold in printed cleaner, which is used in the ribbon.

It has various kinds of thermal transfer ribbons, which are standard wax, Raisin enhanced wax, high mark raising enhanced wax etc. The company might be the best choice for getting your thermal transfer ribbons.

Kinds of thermal transfer ribbon:

Thermal Transfer Ribbon
Thermal Transfer Ribbon

There are mainly 3 types of thermal ribbons. They are:

Wax thermal ribbons

They are the cheapest in the thermal ribbon range, and they are suitable for printing paper stocks. There is a higher ratio of wax in this kind of formulation, which makes the ribbons have a lower melting point to help achieve high print speeds.

Wax Raisin thermal ribbons

These are suitable for labels requiring longer durability and provide a very fine crisp image on very glossy and smooth paper labels. It can resist any kind of scuffing or rubbing, which is usually a common problem in transportation.

Resin thermal ribbons

The ribbons, which are completely resin, have a very clean and sharp print. They can survive in any kind of harsh environment that is corrosive, high temperature, moisture, abrasion, etc. The labels that required a very long life and I used in products that are kept outdoors can use such kind of ribbon.

Understand the difference between CSO and CSI

The thermal ribbon rolls can be either carbon side facing in or carbon side facing out. Seeso and CSI help to understand which side the ink sits on. CSO stands for coated side-out ribbons, and CSI stands for coated side-in ribbons.

The only difference between the two is the direction in which the thermal ribbon is wrapped. You will notice that CSI unrolls from the Bottom and CSO unrolls from the top.

Most important factors to be considered

Label width

the ribbon width should have a measurement that is close to the most commonly used label. This is because any ink that is not used on the thermal transfer ribbon will be wasted.

Ribbon length

The ribbons which I have longer lengths are intended for industrial use, and once with the shorter length, are usually used in Desktop thermal transfer printers.

Core size

The first size must be kept in mind since smaller printers cannot accommodate larger ribbon cores.

Wrap Up:

In conclusion, choosing the right type of thermal transfer ribbon in the UK depends on several factors such as the type of printer, label material, and application requirements. It is important to consider the ribbon’s ink formulation, width, length, and core size to ensure compatibility with the printer and label material. Conducting thorough research and consulting with experts can help in making an informed decision and achieving optimal printing results.