How to find your original photo editing style? This question arises one way or another in the life of every photographer who actively tries to improve the quality of his images.
Of course, it is very convenient to use presets, but sooner or later you want to stand out among thousands of other photographic works. By the way, if you need to find the best editing picture software, you can always explore the materials on Skylum’s blog.
At first, it’s difficult to find an answer, because you need to understand what it means. In this article, we will talk about style as a way of post-processing your shots.
Table of Contents
Why Is It Important to Develop Your Post-Processing?
All newcomers gradually become obsessed with post-processing, wondering how their favourite photographer got such beautiful blues, and unsaturated browns, or where that unusual effect in each photo comes from.
When you start in photography, you are not yet aware of trends that have come and gone, of the permanence of certain elements of visual communication that have stood the test of time, or of trends that have already become fashionable.
This is normal because we all have our journeys in the world of photography. And apart from pretty words, it’s very important to find your editing style, because that’s how you become a real professional and find the best picture editing software.
Experiment with Multiple Editing Apps
If you shoot your photos properly, you won’t have as much work to do in post-processing. But the camera often sees the world differently than you do. If you ignore the benefits of editing tools like Photoshop or Lightroom, you won’t find your style.
You’ll probably make a lot of rookie mistakes the first time you edit photos, but over time you’ll learn the ins and outs of each application. We’ll also give you some valuable tips along the way:
- First of all, you don’t have to get stuck on one software program. If you don’t try several options, you’ll never find the best one. Feel free to experiment with different sliders until you find what works best for you.
- Most professionals prefer Photoshop, but sometimes it’s important to speed up the photo editing process. In that case, you can’t go wrong with AI tools like those in Luminar Neo. Be sure to give this option a try!
You can simply open any resource that lists the best software for picture editing and try out a few options. Some editors you won’t like right away, and others you’ll want to experiment with. You don’t have to buy the software right away, because most developers offer a free trial period where you can test all the tools.
It All Starts with Inspiration
Start by asking yourself why you want to use a particular photo editor, and look for inspiration (within yourself or in the world around you) until you find the answer.
There are so many things in the world that can be sources of inspiration and so many trends that you can apply to your photography:
- Find as many sources of inspiration as possible. Notice exactly what you like and why. Maybe it’s a story from your childhood, the visual style of a favourite movie, or memories of a trip you’ll never forget.
- But how do you turn a live experience into a photo editing style?
- Equipment, settings, and post-processing will be much better if you understand why you choose the tones and effects you like so much.
- Look for other things that inspire you: visual communication techniques, colour palettes, bokeh, focal lengths, scale, and small scenes. All of these elements can contribute to your post-production style.
So, you’ll simply understand what inspires you and the mood certain colours create. Don’t limit yourself to your social media feed, look wider and deeper.
Create an Inspiration Board on Pinterest
If you don’t know where to start your photography journey, you can turn to social media for inspiration. Pinterest is one of the best places to do this, and the platform is also great for storing all your ideas in one place for later use.
Pinterest allows you to create mood boards with your work and the work of others. Research the terms and themes that interest you before adding them.
Once you’ve collected enough images, you’ll have a better idea of what your photos should look like.
By synthesizing your style, you have accomplished the most difficult task. You have come out of ignorance. Now it’s time to test it.
People may not like it. But if you like it, maybe they just won’t get it, and that’s okay. And for those who do like it, it will be the best thing in the world.
But if you don’t share your creativity, no one will know about it. It’s also very important that every creative person sees life in their way. To have the courage to try something new, even if it’s scary. Change is the only way to evolve.
Remember, it is important to try several software options. Is the best picture editing software free or paid? A limited set of features will get you started, but you need to use professional tools to create your style.
Just find a source of inspiration, don’t be afraid to experiment, and you’re sure to build your unique editing style that people will want to use in presets! Also, be sure to try out all your creative ideas in Luminar Neo.