You don’t need a visa for travelling to Spain from the UK if you are planning to stay there for fewer than 90 days.
Because of a transitional agreement performed between Britain and the European Union. There is a visa-free travel agreement between the European Union and the UK for a short stay.
At the end of 2022, the EU thing to have its new ETIAS system that will facilitate travellers who don’t need to have a visa. They can apply through this system. Before that, they only need to have their passport.
If you are planning to work, study, or live in Spain for more than 90 days, then you need to apply for a Spanish visa. You need to choose the Spanish visa type according to your trip type, and how many times you plan to visit.
In this article, we are going to cover the steps of how to apply for a visa to Spain from the UK.
Table of Contents
What type of Visa Do I need to enter Spain?
If you are planning to visit Spain for a short period of 90 days then you need to apply for a Schengen visa, also known as a C-type visa.
Depending upon the purpose of your trip, you need to get one type of Schengen visa such as:
- Spain tourist visa
- Austrian airport visa
- Spanish visitor visa
- Spanish business visa
- Spanish visa for an official visit
- Spanish medical visa
- Spanish study visa
- Spanish visa for sports, cultural, and film crew
If you need a Spain long-stay visa, then you need to apply for a Spain category D visa.
Spain’s National visa types are:
- Spain student visa
- Spain employment visa
- Spain job seeker visa
- Spain Freelancer visa
- Spain family reunion visa
- Spain researcher visa
- Spain student internship visa
- Spain work permit visa
- Spain partnership visa
- Spain relative visa
How to apply for a Spain visa from the UK
You need to first work out which Spanish visa type do you required according to the purpose of the trip and the length of your trip.
The Schengen Spain short-term visa permits you to stay in Spain for 90 days. You can use this Schengen visa for your short trips to study, work, travel, or any other purposes.
If you need to in and out Schengen area frequently then you can apply for multiple-entry visas.
You need to plan for your Spain travel no fewer than 15 days and no more than 6 months from the date of your application. You need to perform all the following protocols to get a visa to Spain from the UK.
What documents do I need to keep for applying for a Schengen visa to Spain from the UK?
You need to have all the following documents to apply for a visa to Spain from the UK:
- Spanish Visa application form: You need to apply for the Spanish visa online. You have to fill up the form online and then print it twice. After thorough checking, you need to sign at the end.
- You need to keep two recently taken passport-sized photos; the photos must be in passport format.
- Your valid passport: you need to ensure that the passport is not older than 10 years, and it must have two blank pages to affix a visa.
- The validity of your passport must have at least three more months from the date you are planning to leave the Schengen territory.
- Before your Spain trip, you need to avail yourself of Spain travel health insurance for all the other Schengen states. Your health insurance must cover medical emergencies of at least 30.000 euros.
- Your flight tickets or any other documents that prove that you have booked for Spain tickets in and out.
- Hotel reservation receipts or any similar document.
- You also need to provide a cover letter to the Spain embassy where you need to mention the reason for your tour and how many days you are going to stay in that country.
- You need to keep your marriage certificate, the birth certificate of your children, and if any death certificate of your spouse.
There are some specific documents that you need to provide depending on the status of your employment:
- Employment contract certificate
- Income Tax return
- Bank account statement from the last 6months
- Approval letter from your employer to leave the country
- Proof of your business license
- Company’s bank account current statements from the last 6 months
- Income Tax return
- Documents of enrollment to any University
- NOC certificate from the school authority
Do the British need a visa for Spain in 2022?
Ans: As a British citizen, you must have a valid passport to visit Spain. The passport must not be older than 10 years and it must valid for up to more than three months from the date you leave Spain. As a British citizen, you might need a visa to travel to Spain.
How much costs a visa for Spain from the UK?
Ans: As a UK citizen, to travel to Spain you need to pay £68.00 for an adult to get a Spanish visa. For children between 6 to 12 years old, you need to pay £34.00 to get a Spanish visa.
How long can a UK citizen stay in Spain without a visa?
Ans: As a UK citizen, without having a Spanish visa you can stay in Spain for 90 days. You only require having your valid passport. If you intend to stay for a longer period then you need to apply for a Spanish visa.
How much bank balance is required for a Spain visa?
Ans: As per the current immigration guidelines, you will need to have at least 95.50 euros per day in Spain. It will be the amount of 865.50 euros or equal to other currency.
If you are a UK citizen living in any of the countries, you can apply for a Spanish visa at the General Consulate of Spain in London. If you are a UK citizen holding a full UK passport, or a BOC, BPP, or BOTC then you can freely travel in Spain without having a passport.
UK citizens of many specific countries need to get a Spanish Schengen visa for travelling in Spain. In recent years, the liberation policies of travel to any of the countries of Europe have decreased.